Does Tithing Acknowledge God Owns Everything?
As we continue our ‘Tithing on Trial’ series, we will evaluate the most common tithing arguments used to defend its practice. So let’s evaluate another argument used to promote tithing.
In what way, shape, or form does giving a small portion of what you own portray that you actually don’t own any of it? Does paying your taxes also acknowledge that Government owns everything?
Some people believe that giving a tithe (10%) will establish the right attitude about the other 90%. But maybe for others, giving 10% would actually set the wrong tone for how they should spend the other 90.
Some may give up the 10% and feel that they have just appeased the wrath of the volcano god, and that they can do whatever they want with the other 90. Without a platform that we could raise ourselves up to, there is no feeling that one has ‘arrived’ or appeased the wrath of the volcano god.
The platform of tithing allows some to gloat about their accomplishments and develop a feeling that they have ‘arrived’. If there were no benchmark in place, then there is no platform to stand on to distinguish our accomplishments from the rest of those “under-achievers”.
Here are 10 reasons why tithing does not automatically acknowledge God owns everything
- The pharisees tithed religiously and yet, the bible calls them “lovers of money” (Luke 16:14)
- God knows the thoughts and intents of the heart regardless of how we give. (Hebrews 4:12)
- The servant in Matthew 25 actually gave 100% of his talents back to his master and yet was still called wicked.
- Ananias Sapphira only kept back a portion of their sold land and were destroyed regardless of what they had given. (Acts 5)
- God owns everything, regardless of whether i acknowledge it or not.
- People use tithing to brag (Luke 18:12)
- God asked the rich ruler to sell his possessions (not to tithe) and come follow him. (Matthew 19:24)
- The bible asks us to sacrifice ourselves (not to tithe) if we are to follow Jesus. (Romans 12:1)
- Believing that tithing acknowledges God’s ownership is simply not found in the bible anywhere.
- Look at God’s example: he gave his only son, not a tithe. (John 3:16)
I’m certain that there are those who do tithe, that really believe and practice that God owns everything; but i’m also just as positive that there are those who do not tithe, that also practice and believe that God owns everything.
Can you look at the verses and examples above and tell me that tithing actually does a good job at making people believe God owns it all? Did you see how great the pharisees excelled at tithing, while they also gloated about their works and lusted over money?
Now that the evidence has been given in this court of law, it is your turn to decide
YOU BE THE JUDGE