Below is an extensive list of all the bible verses that discuss how offerings were used in the New Testament. Although this is not a list of every bible verse that talks about giving, these bible verses are all the ones that reveal how offerings were distributed in the early Church. Do me a favor and compare our giving and distribution model in the Church ‘today’ with the model that we find in the early Church. At the end, you will see a challenge that comes with a cash reward if you succeed. All bible verses below are in NKJV.
- Acts 2:44-45 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
- Acts 4:34-35 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.
- Acts 11:27-30 And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar. Then the disciples, each according to his ability, determined to send relief to the brethren dwelling in Judea. This they also did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.
- Acts 20:35 have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak.
- Romans 12:13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
- Romans 15:26 For it pleased those from Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor
- 2 Corinthians 8:14-15 but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack—that there may be equality. As it is written, “He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack.”
- 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. 9As it is written: “He has dispersed abroad, He has given to the poor; His righteousness endures forever.”
- 2 Corinthians 9:12 For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God.
- 2 Corinthians 11:9 And when I was present with you, and in need, I was a burden to no one, for what I lacked the brethren who came from Macedonia supplied.
- Galatians 2:9,10 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. They desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do.
- Ephesians 4:28 Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.
- Phillippians 4:10-11,14-16 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: . . . Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. 15Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. 16For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities.
- Titus 3:14 And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful
- James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress
- James 2:15-16 a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
- 1 John 3:17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
I will send $50 to anyone who first finds a bible verse that urges generosity in the early church for anything other than an essential need. I will send $15 to anyone who can find a verse to add to the list above. The verse must be in reference to the church in Acts through Revelation, and must be universally translated the same within the KJV, NKJV, NIV, and NASB in regards to how offerings were distributed or used. If you find a bible verse and want the reward, post it in the comments, and i will send you an email to get your mailing address to send the cash through paypal or mail. Hey, i’m offering this without doing extensive research, so you might get lucky. Hopefully, i won’t be broke by the time this is done.