A Spirit-led Response to Tithing
In my many discussions about debates about Tithing, if the debate lasts long enough eventually this question always pops up, “Since you don’t believe in tithing, how much do you give under grace? Is it more than the law or less?” This question is the most ignorant question i receive in the tithing debate. Typically this means that they’ve run out of arguments, or they are sick of repeating the accusation that i am throwing out the Old Testament. This is why i bring you 10 ways to respond when a tither wants to know how much you give, just because you are against tithing.
1. Grace givers could also ask the question about how many of the tithers are actually giving cheerfully and godly? My assumption would be that the percentage is lower than those that give gracefully.
2. What is the average that believing tithers give? According to statistics on barna.org, it doesn’t seem like tithers are giving what they should either.
3. Greed is not biased to those who practice grace giving. May I remind you that Israel fell to the cloak of greed while under the tithing law anyways.
4. The Mormons give more than any religion or denomination but that doesn’t confirm their theology.
5. The steward in Matthew 25 who gave 100% of his 2 talents back to his master was still considered a bad steward.
6. It was only the Pharisees who were interested in shortcomings of others while expressing how they elegantly obeyed the OT requirements.
7. I’ll let God be the one to tell you what He’s received from me.
8. I give nine-and-a-half percent. (just to throw them off)
9. Most of the time I keep 0% of my income. God seems to find a use for all of it.
10. Is it common for you to base scriptural truth on the performance of mankind?