Below is a list of all 36 bible verses about tithes from both the Old and New Testament scriptures. There are many bible verses that refer to other forms of giving such as offerings, Spirit-led giving, or firstfruits; but I have only chosen bible verses that explicitly fit the definition of the tithe. I have combined the bible verses into 17 passages where it makes sense as a whole and included a general paraphrase to offer a quick synopsis of the verse(s).
You can view the Greek and Hebrew words that we to translate the word “tithe” on biblestudytools.com. The Hebrew word in the Bible most commonly used is Ma`aser. The Bible also uses `asar and `asiyriy when looking through a concordance. All these Hebrew words mean the same – to take a tenth. The Greek word used in the bible is Apodekatoo.
What are the Old Testament Bible verses about tithes?
- Genesis 14:20 – Melchizedek comes out to meet Abraham, as Abraham gives him a tithe of the spoils of his victory.
- Genesis 28:20-22 – After the vision of God’s renewed covenant, Jacob initiates a vow with God by offering a tithe of what he receives from the promised land.
- Leviticus 27:30-32 – The specifications of tithing are introduced into the law of Moses.
- Numbers 18:20-32 – The tithe is dedicated to the Levites for the work in the tabernacle.
- Deuteronomy 12:5-11 – God gives instructions for what to do with the tithe once Israel crosses the Jordan.
- Deuteronomy 14:22-29 – God gives instructions on how to disperse and exchange the tithe.
- Deuteronomy 26:12-15 – God gives instructions on how Israel should sanctify the tithe before they can ask for a blessing.
- 2 Chronicles 31:5-12 – The children of Israel do what’s right under the reign of Hezekiah, and bring the tithes to the designated places.
- Nehemiah 10:37-38 – Israel obeys God and brings the tithes to the storehouse.
- Nehemiah 12:44 – Officers were appointed to watch over the tithes in the storehouse.
- Nehemiah 13:5-12 – Nehemiah cleanses the storehouse and kicks Tobiah out of the room that was designated to store the tithe. He then restores order.
- Amos 4:4 – God commands Israel to bring back the tithe and reiterates the curse that is upon them if they don’t.
- Malachi 3:8-10 – God reprimands Israel for not delivering the tithe, and reiterates the blessings and curses that would be in result of whatever decision they chose.
What are the New Testament Bible verses about tithes?
- Matthew 23:23 – Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for not obeying the weightier matters of the law along with tithing.
- Luke 11:42 – A parallel bible verse of Matthew 23:23 as Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for not obeying the weightier matters of the law along with tithing.
- Luke 18:12 – A Pharisee brags about his obedience to the law and tithing.
- Hebrews 7:5-9 – Abraham’s tithe is used to illustrate a change concerning the priesthood.