Top Ignorant Statements About Tithing

ignorant and clueless people

This list of ignorant statements about tithing are listed here because they are the cream of the crop when it comes to oblivious arguments. Every time i hear these statements i either roll my eyes to the back of my brain or i shake my head in disbelief about how shallow their brain must be. I know my mood seems uncaring and sarcastic, well, that’s probably because it is. Sorry, it’s been a rough couple weeks. So, onward we go into the barren, thoughtless, and ignorant statements about tithing.

1. You don’t pray about tithing, you do it
    Who can recall the countless times i’ve come across this statement. This argument pretty much stems off the mentality, “God said it, and that settles it”. I could understand if we skipped the whole prayer thing if we were talking about murder, adultery, or stealing; but curiosity should arise when we realize that God is present, but i don’t need to pray because all i need to know is in this little black book. After all, it says “Holy” on the front, so it must answer all my questions.Who needs a God that is able to communicate? There are many other religions out there that pray to idols who can’t speak to them. For some reason, i don’t think God is made of wood or stone.
  2. Tithing acknowledges that God owns it All
    STOP! Think about that: Does giving 10% mean you are giving 100%? Notice how they always say that tithing “acknowledges”. They know it doesn’t bring fulfillment, or completion to stewardship. It’s because they know if we aren’t committed 100% to God, then 10% means nothing. It is very possible that many people have tithed without acknowledging that the other 90% belongs to Him as well.We’re in a bit of a quandary here. Is it tithing that acknowledges God owns it all, or it is a circumcised and sacrificial heart that acknowledges God owns it all. Which is it?

3. Freewill givers do not give as much as tithers
    I am sure that is probably true, but truth is not based on success or results. Let’s take Islam for example. Right now, it is the fastest growing religion in the world, so does that make Islam right and Christianity wrong? I’m even sure many more Muslims are ready to die for their faith than Christians are.(shout out to Achmed the dead terrorist!)One of the reasons tithers follow through with their commitment to give more is because they place themselves under a storm cloud that will strike them with a curse if they disobey. Even though God directly says, “you are no longer under a curse”, tithers still think that God didn’t mean he removed the curse about tithing also.
  4. All scripture is profitable
    If i could define ignorance in one of these arguments listed here, well this is it. This is one of those responses i get when people think i’m just trying to throw out the whole Bible whenever i say that the tithe is no longer valid. Forget the fact that they don’t believe in the Sabbath on Saturday, animal sacrifices, or even clean meats for the same reasons i don’t believe in tithing.This is how it usually goes: I basically tell them that the tithe is no longer commanded, and they basically say, “How dare you throw out God’s Word”. Then comes either one of the two statements: ‘all scripture is profitable’ or ‘i did not come to abolish, but to fulfill’. Why should i even bother asking them why they don’t fulfill the sabbath?. . . sigh. . .
  5. God never Changes
    This kind of goes along with #4 . . . as in why should i even bother asking them why God changed the sabbath, or the priesthood, or the temple. Debating with people over these tithing arguments is like arguing over an algebra equation with a 5 year old when they don’t even understand multiplication. If tithers just stop and think about what they are saying, then they would soon realize that if God never changes in the way that they are implying, then we would still stone our children.This is what i mean when i said ‘thoughtless’ at the beginning of the blog. These tithing arguments are just that – thoughtless.
  6. Where does the Bible say to stop tithing
    It doesn’t say, “stop tithing“. I believe there are over 600 some-odd old testament laws that we do not practice anymore. I would imagine if God took the time to rewrite a verse in the new testament commanding us to stop each law in the Old Testament, then our bible would be a few hundred pages longer.We are born again, adopted in God’s family, indwelled with God’s Spirit, and given a new covenant. On top of all this, the earthly priesthood was eliminated, the temple destroyed, and Judaism is not my religion, nor am i an Israelite; and yet, we find it hard to believe that tithing could have been replaced by Spirit led giving?After all the changes, i think we need to find where the bible says to continue tithing. Don’t you?
  7. Tithing is the starting point
    This philosophy is not even in the bible. First of all, first fruit offerings were given prior to the tithe, so tithes were not even given first. Second, tithes were only given from food and animals, and were not given from occupational income. So, there was no starting point for blacksmiths, lawyers, doctors, or carpenters.Here’s a little saying, that i’ve thought of all by myself (as you can see i’m boasting)
    Where should our giving begin?
    Where should our giving end?
    WHICH ONE SHOULD WE TEACH?
  8. Would you like God’s net or gross blessing?
    No, this is not necessarily an arguement used to defend tithing, but more or less used to persuade those who are tithing, to tithe more. First, this argument exposes the root of why tithing has such a hold on many lives. It is the promise of blessing and the fear of the curse. Who cares about gross or net blessing from God, you should want to do what’s right. Right is either right, and wrong is wrong. There is no gross right, or net wrong.The problem is that those, who are concerned if they should tithe on the gross, ask others who couldn’t give you a biblical answer. So the best thing to do is conjure up a catch phrase that seems to have wisdom embedded in it.
  9. How Much do you give?
    Ah yes, this question is their famous “gotcha” argument. They know that biblical reasoning will not win their argument so they resort to personal attacks because your character is all they have left to attack. I have to admit, this is a tricky one to respond to. First, they have no business investigating what you give. Second, if you happen to give less than a tithe of your income, they let you know, your works do not shine as bright as theirs. Last of all, if you do give above 10%, they will convince you that tithing is the minimum and your conscience knows it.This question is in the ignorant list because either they want to corner you; no, not on biblical truth, but on your performance; and also it is ignorant because anyone should know better than to determine scriptural truth based on the performance of mankind.
  10. We can’t rely on people to be Spirit-led
    This is an ignorant statement that tithers unfortunately believe, and yet ironically in the same sentence they believe the book of Acts is historically accurate. I don’t know, maybe they do believe the book of Acts was a fairy tale. What they are saying is that ‘i don’t trust that people can be Spirit led, but of course, the Christians in the book of Acts are the exception‘.With their ignorant statements, they don’t even realize that they deny the power that God has on his children.  They deny the blood of Christ, and they deny that any Christian can be sacrificial and liberal with their giving while being filled and led by the Spirit of God. What a shame, and what ignorance.
  11. How will the church stay open if we don’t tithe
    There are thousands of non-profit organizations that keep their doors open all year without demanding, or imposing a tithe of their freewill donors. What makes us think that an operation that is commissioned and overseen by God’s almighty hand would fare less than any of these non-profit organizations? Are you kidding me? is your faith that little?It might just be that you have seen your astronomical church budget, and it is in the millions! Yeah, you’re right, if there’s anything that God could struggle with is to continue paying for your worthless, under-performing, humanistic kingdom that does very little in out-reach but a lot of in-reach. In that case, you are right, we probably would see some church doors close. That’s the price you pay when God is in charge of financing his kingdom.

Jared Bartholomew is the author of www.tithing.com. There are over 300 articles written on research and reviews about tithing information.

Posted in Tithing Tagged with: , , , , , , ,
86 comments on “Top Ignorant Statements About Tithing
  1. rory says:

Terrific post.
    Believe or not, immediately prior to sitting at the computer, I was reading Leviticus 27 about THE TITHE.

I saw what I had never seen so clear.. Not only was the tithe specifically stated as produce, seed, and livestock in the passage, YOU COULD REDEEM YOUR OWN TITHE at “one-fifth”, in order to KEEP your tithe of produce/ livestock. IT DOESN’T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MONEY!!

Boy have we been fleeced royal. I wish we would have read our Bible back when we were in church…

Instead we sat in a congregation and nodded our head at the smiling ministers up there when they perverted the scripture for their own benefit.

2. Linda Marquis says:

“Now i’m looking for your input. But please, if you have anything to say, ignorance is not welcome.” Wow….does that mean we can only comment if it agrees with everything previously stated? If you can’t dialogue than this site is as limiting as some churches with the “my way or the highway” position. The problem with ignorance is that it’s not self recognizable. That’s why it’s ignorance (or a lack of knowledge”. LOL

3. Linda,
    I was being facetious. Sorry, you didn’t seem to take it so well.

– jared

4. Highly Favoured says:

I agree with everything you are saying because my eyes have been opened a long time ago.

5. Marshall Gentry says:

Awesome post! But i have to say I disagree with #3. I have given far more since God has taken over guiding my giving. I suppose if you include those that don’t give at all of their time, talent, or resource this may be true but most freewill givers have trouble not giving too much.

6. Marshall,
    How dare you disagree with 1 of my points! ;)

7. Marshall Gentry says:

By giving too much I mean they actually deprive themselves of some of what God wants them to keep.

8. I Baptist evangelist told me “I know its is not New Testament but, if I don’t preach tithing, what is there to preach?” DUUUUUU how about the truth?

9. Highly Favoured says:

Ministers of the gospel tell the people to tithe and use the scripture that they are robbing God. They tell them about ‘pressed down, shaken together and running over’. Most of these people are struggling and paying tithes, offering, radio programme and still have to give first fruit. Tell me what is left? They have the people in bondage.

10. Rob George Fox says:

An edited quote from the Rocky Mountain Yearly Meeting (Quaker impersonators).

“Part I: Friends History, Belief, and Practice

Chapter 3—Faith in Action

C. Stewardship

Friends believe that the Old Testament practice of giving one-tenth (a tithe) of personal income for Kingdom ministry is a foundational principle for Christian stewardship. Jesus’ command for sacrificial giving exceeds this principle and New Testament writers teach that true giving goes beyond the tithe. Time, talent, and treasure belong to the Lord. Believers are called to be good stewards of all the gifts of life God has given.

Friends are urged to

* consider the financial needs of the ministries of the local church and the Yearly Meeting, as well as worthy parachurch organizations, in the practice of stewardship, which includes tithes, offerings, wills, and estates;
    * consider the stewardship of gifts of ministry and stewardship of the earth.

This is dumb on so many levels, but the one that stands out to me is how can God give me a gift, yet still retain ownership? If he owns it, then my use is one of stewardship. If it is a true gift, I own it. May people use a computer at their employer’s building. They may even loosely call it their computer. But everyone knows they don’t own it, the company does. You will NEVER hear the word gift used. Clearly it is not a gift. Do you retain ownership of the tithe you give? If you are in dire need of it will you ever get it back? Most people can kiss it goodbye. So let’s see, God provides me something, even though I work for it, but it is still his. I am to give it to the church because I don’t never have ownership, I just have the obligation to give it. But once the church has it, the church receives it as a gift, they retain ownership and can spend it on anything, be it necessities or luxuries. What a deal!

11. Freewillgiver says:

Praise Jesus!

If Christians really listened to their pro tithing arguments how do they think the system produces more love and friendship? A Christian leader should be the first to sacrifice. Do people really think that it is so noble and burdensom to expect 10% of other Christians cash to be speant in a leaders church?

A tithe believing pastor would never say this and I believe that most tithe pastors are loving nice incorrect doctrine preachin people. This is part of what tithe doctrines represent.

” Please don’t rob Jesus and be cursed! Christian friends please your life will be more blessed if you give me and my ministry at least 10% of your money. I pray and expect that you will choose to tithe! ”

Dose this kind of thinking strengthen loving relationships?
    Is not the 10% money tithe expectation a form of entitlement?

Love and entitlement do not sound very much like Jesus. The entitled tithe doctrines are the begining of the health and wealth suffering denying doctrines. It is hard to believe in entitled prosperity for Christians without the money tithe doctrines.

Jesus was entitled on earth to die on the cross. Should we not expect the same? Don’t get me wrong I hate suffering as much as the next person but Jesus seems to give us both to bring us to him.

Recently I have been blessed finnacially becase I just got a new 9 to five job wich pays me more than ever. With my increaced time I will tell as many people as I can that Jesus wants relationship more than money.

During the last two years or so I have been telling many people every good opportunity I get about the evils of Leaders requiring 10% of other Christians money.

I have been in debts to credit cards and my house lost alot of value but Jesus blessed me with many ministry opportunities. Now things are looking better finacially but I believe that Jesus promices suffering for all who live godly on earth.

Next month I graduate from colledge. I have a freind who just gave me 28,000 dollars to save me from my credit card debts.

My brother in Christ who I consider my christian never calls himself by a title. He takes me on vacations and he is the godfather to my children. We have no offering plate and we never ask each other for offerings in our fellowship. We are just friends.

Imagine that, a Christian fellowhip where people are getting to know and share with each other! I know that I could die in a car accident tommorrow but not tithing has not hurt me. That is not a good argument but it is thanks to Jesus.

It is not friendly to feel entitled to control 10% of another persons cash. My U.S. govermnet wants a certan percentage of my cash and we have a terrible relationship. If Jesus did not ask for 10% of the diciples money and he did not tell them to expect 10% money from other Christians why is this a friendly, loving consept today?

Be free will givers Christian friends and increace your sharing, loving relationships. Jesus said By this will all men know that you are my Diciples if you love one another.

Christ in us!

12. Freewillgiver says:

George Fox

The true friends Quakers not impersonators were jailed in England over refusing to pay tithes. I don’t know how any folks calling themselves friends could expect 10% of other friends cash.

Think about it what if your best friend not your spouse, started expecting ten percent of your cash becase he was voted your Christian leader? Would your relationship suffer?

Freinds don’t let friends require a tithe!

13. EnnisP says:

Hey Tithe,
    1. We don’t need to pray about any established principles in Scripture (for me that includes tithing) although we might pray about financial pressure caused by tithing.

2. Never heard that one.

3. Actually free will givers may feel compelled to give more which I see as a problem.

4. Not an argument either way.

5. Not an argument either way.

6. Some laws were rescinded, some were not but tithing originally had nothing to do with the law.

7. Tithing does provide a framework which grace giving does not but you have included non related ideas in your explanation and made suggestions which cannot be substantiated. People did give monetary offerings and it was predominantly an agricultural based economy.

8. That argument applies to whether you tithe on the net or gross income. I have never heard it as an argument for or against tithing in general.

9. “How much do you give?” is a good question especially for people starting out. It would nice to have some intel. Personally I would like to know what you or any other person would say when a new Christian asks “how do I determine what to give?” “Pray about it” just isn’t enough.

10. Never heard that in relation to tithing.

11. Never heard that one either.

14. EnnisP,

6.Ya know, animal sacrifices, circumcision, sabbath, and clean animals all had nothing to do with the law either. So, ‘nothing to do with the law’ is not evidence to continue tithing.

7. I know people gave monetary offerings, they just couldn’t with tithing. In regards to an agricultural based society: Israel didn’t need any more food per-person than we need today per person. Technically speaking, our society grows more food than they did overall and yet we are privileged to give money, while Israel was not.

8. I already mentioned that here: “this is not necessarily an argument used to defend tithing”

9. I am all for setting personal standards, but what the Holy Spirit calls you to do as a standard is not what the Holy Spirit calls me to do. People have all kinds of standards for music, movies, dating, dress, etc. We aren’t exactly criticizing the “pray about it” with anything else but our giving.

15. EnnisP says:

6. The law is no argument for or against tithing. There are many things instituted before and in the law which we still do today and some we don’t.

But, the NT did clearly indicate the sacrificial system was discontinued, most males are still circumcised (based on good medicine which i am sure God was aware of) and we have numerous laws regulating the production and preparation of food.

16. So

If the NT clearly indicates that the sacrificial system was discontinued, but the NT doesn’t indicate that all occupational income was to immediately be tithed upon; then why the double standard? Don’t make up the excuse about Abraham giving 10% before the law, because if 10% was universally required then Israel would have had to tithe more than their 1% on their spoils of war. There is something wrong when even Israel was not required to follow their father, Abraham; and yet, we are. Perplexing!

How should it matter if a whole society was considered agrarian, when a numerous amount of individuals made their living off of other trades? Where is the NT command that says carpenters are no longer exempt from tithing?

17. EnnisP says:

You said…
    “If 10% was universally required then Israel would have had to tithe more than their 1% on their spoils of war.”

I answered that question in comment 13 of my post “Tithing Catalyzes Solidarity.” There isn’t agreement on how “portions” should be understood in Numbers 31 and once the precious metals were included in the offering it was easily more than a tithe.

In the thread referred to above you also asked when Israel tithed on the wealth they received when leaving Egypt. And the answer is, when they made donations to build the Tabernacle. The amount given was huge. I doubt it would have been less than the tithe.

Because it was an agricultural society the most common form of increase would have been crops and herds. To mention any and all types of increase on which a tithe should be paid would have been ludicrous. The list would have been endless.

And, there could have been day workers who didn’t own a farm and were paid only in cash. In that case, was he or she left out? It would be a stretch to assume so.

18. Dorothy M says:

This is why forced tithing has become a Cult Practice.
    Few Pro-Tithe payers question this as an Old Testament requirement. Not many will challenge its validity even when they know it is not taught in the New Testament. Our favor rest in the works of Christ and the Cross. I once heart that the more known the tale the more people that will believe it. Tithing is repeated sermon after sermon at offering like a Mantra & pagan Chant. They are ignoring the New Testament of Grace and teaching to keep one Jewish law out of many hundreds. This is deception and I agree it is stealing the Lords credit for what he fulfilled for us.

19. Highly Favoured says:

Offering was never about money either. It was for sin, trespass, burnt and such like. They used animals but now it is money. Jesus offered up himself as sacrifice for us.

20. Ann says:

I agree that forcing people to pay tithes is unscriptural. I don’t mind giving God 10% or more as freewill offering to organizations that are preaching about the “Kingdom of God”. Because the scriptures states, this gopspel of the kingdom must be preach and then the end”. The end of what? All of this mess that we set every Sunday and listen too that has nothing to do with salvation or eternity. I refuse to pay someone tithes to go to hell. I can do that on my own.

21. Ann says:

Also, was not tithes for the Levites who had no lot or land. What have God taken from you and that the church needs to supplement? Just a thought.

22. OKema says:

I am truly at a loss to convey
    the words for the blessing of
    knowledge given from this article. So many thoughts have
    been confirmed that wake up
    the Spirit of God in my life.
    I have printed out the article
    and I just want to say
    and panacea of thought about
    tithing and being Spirit led.

23. Dee says:

I tithe because I want to and have never been guilted into it. The Bible doesn’t say anywhere, OT or NT, NOT to tithe, so I do.

And mind you, whatever argument anyone here can make about not tithing, it comes down to choice. I choose to tithe because it just feels right. 10% compared to what the tax man takes AUTOMATICALLY without even thinking about giving me a choice is truly why I feel good about tithing. The tax man takes more than twice as much and if the tax man TAKES over 20% without so much as my permission, surely God, who multiplies my finances (among many other more important things), deserves a mere 10th. And I don’t just tithe financially. I’m also trying to tithe at least of 10th of each day to prayer, studying and ministry as well.

I tithe and don’t give it a second thought. And I won’t give it a second thought. To each his own, I suppose. To me, it feels right and it being voluntary makes it feel even better. If I tithe because I felt forced, it would be spiritually moot because it would not be sincere.

In short, I tithe out of reverence, not fear. I tithe out of respect, not ritual.

This is a riveting conversation though.

24. Dee says:

Now that I’ve given my heart, I’d like some feedback on scripture…NT scripture, that is.

Matthew 23:23: “23”Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.”

No, it’s not talking about money, but it IS talking about tithing. Here, Jesus has said tithing is not the problem here, but the neglecting justice, mercy and faithfulness is. So He’s not saying NOT to tithe. As a matter of fact, He’s sayiing just the opposite. He’s saying to tithe but cautions not them not to think that tithing alone is enough. In other words, He’s encouraging and admonishing them not to form the attitude of, “I gave my tithe. My part in the building of the Kingdom is done. I don’t need to do anything else.”

And this is just one of the seven woes Jesus about in Matthew 23. He’s addressing the hypocrisy of the leaders there:

Matthew 23:1-3:

1Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2″The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

Luke 18:10-14:

10″Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13″But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14″I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

If tithing was not meant, why did Jesus not say it here? Or in the previous passage? He’s neither saying nor suggesting that there is something wrong with tithing. As a matter of fact, He’s very clear that there’s definitely something right about it.

And although He’s not saying in any way, shape or form that tithing is anything other than right, to be fair, He’s also not saying one HAS to tithe.

This takes me back to choice. I choose to give freely and honestly, I’m a living, breathing testimony that being the best Christian I can be with everything from my attitude to the way I carry myself to the way I walk and talk and to my manner of giving (both tithes and offerings) has absolutely garnered me God’s favor.

Ask me what my life was like before I started tithing. No, it wasn’t bleak but the very basic concept of “my cup runneth over” has become very evident as a result of tithing. How do I know? Because with God, there are no coincidences. I started givng without worry…cheerfully…without doubt that I wouldn’t be able to pay my bills, etc., and God just multiplied what I had given and gave it all right back to me and then some. …as recently as yesterday.

So, no, I don’t HAVE to tithe, but it’s certainly been one of the most wonderful, rewarding, spiritually trust-building decisions I ever made.

25. Gary says:

Dee – Jesus was born, lived, and died under the OLD TESTAMENT LAW. The New Testament didn’t start until AFTER Jesus died on the cross. Jesus taught and fulfilled the law. He couldn’t have said for them to not follow the laws.

Others are missing an important point. Tithing was NEVER on INCOME, or anything that man made or earned. Tithing was always on GOD’S INCREASE, and NEVER on man’s increase.

Had God wanted everyone to tithe, He could have made it simple. Tithe on your income, or gross income, or net income, etc. But He didn’t give a command to tithe on man’s labor. His command was to tithe on HIS increase.

Man has diluted God’s tithe by replacing God’s miraculous increase with man’s achievements.

26. EnnisP says:

There is no difference between “increase” and “income.” The argument is not even serious enough to qualify as semantic juggling.

The legal arguments are also smoke screens. How many of you anti-tithers are faithful to your wives only because the Spirit led you to be.

27. Gary says:

EnnisP – Of course the definition of increase in Webster’s dictionary will include income. However, the definition is limited in the Word of God when it is in reference to the tithe. EVERY time the word “increase” is used in scripture referring to the tithe, the Hebrew meaning is increase of seed, or increase of crops. It is NEVER any other increase. Therefore, today’s definiton of increase includes income, but the Biblical definition, when referring to the tithe, means ONLY INCREASE OF CROPS.

28. Gary says:

EnnisP – Also, the tithe was always on GOD’S INCREASE. Just read the scripture. “increase of the seed” In the one verse that states “your increase” the Hebrew defintion is, again, “increase of crops” so it is very clear in the scriptures that increase for tithing purposes is limited to crops, which come from God, not man.

29. Dustin says:

Great post. I have struggled with this and i’m currently listening to a message about tithing and it’s making me sick.

30. rory says:

anyone who reads the New Testament looking for a reminder from Malachi, or an instruction to tithe, will come up empty.
    Paul founded a lot of churches and developed a lot of ministers, and said things like “THESE THINGS COMMAND AND TEACH….”
    but shucks, he never told any of them to tithe.

Jesus clearly said “tithing is of the matters of the law..” Mat 23:23

Christ is THE END of the law to all that believe…

Learn to listen to God who will direct you to who and how much to GIVE. -and break the Sunday extortion habbit.
    ….